The Costa del Sol is known for many alternatives for tourists and, although the most famous are related to its kilometers of coastline, making other alternative plans is mandatory if we want to know Malaga well.
That is why, when the warmer months arrive, the focus is on its cultural offer, which is immense, and the activities to do go beyond visiting the best typical restaurants in Malaga.
Today, specifically, we want to show you the definitive guide to museums in Malaga that you should visit during your vacations in Malaga.
Table of Contents
General information about museums in Malaga
Before we start talking about the different museums you should visit, we want to comment some interesting facts that can surely help you to plan your route.
Are the museums in Malaga free?
The answer is that on Sundays they are free, although each museum has an hour after which the free period starts. In addition, there are some events throughout the year, such as the Noche en Blanco, where the museums are free.
How many museums are there in Malaga?
For this question we have to say that there are around 40 museums in Malaga, although the figure depends on exactly what we consider museum as there are several options that can be debated.
The Picasso Museum is undoubtedly one of the most famous museums in Malaga. In fact, it is much more than a local reference as it is the most visited museum in Andalusia and one of the most visited in southern Spain.
It’s more than 250 works cover all the styles and techniques mastered by the famous artist from Malaga. Undoubtedly, visiting this place and seeing the works of Pablo Ruiz Picasso is a must for the tourist.
General information about the Picasso Museum
Buenavista Palace, C. San Agustín, 8, 29015 Málaga
952 12 76 00
Opening hours of the Picasso Museum
- July-August: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- September-October: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- November-February: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- March-June: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Price of the Picasso Museum
- Conventional admission – 9€
- Reduced rate – 6€
Carmen Thyssen Museum
Located in the palace of Villalón, the Carmen Thyssen Museum brings together some of the most important works of the nineteenth and twentieth century in Andalusia and Spain. It has more than 250 works from the Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza collection.
His works are divided into 4 sections and also has temporary exhibitions that make this museum another must-see in Malaga.
General information about the Carmen Thyssen Museum
Plaza Carmen Thyssen, 29008 Málaga
952 21 75 11
Opening hours of the Museo Carmen Thyssen
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10.00 to 20.00 h.
- Monday closed (except Monday holidays)
- December 24 and 31 from 10.00 am to 2.00 pm.
- December 25, January 1 and 6 closed.
Price of the Museo Carmen Thyssen
- General admission – 10€.
- Reduced – 6€.
- Group – 8€.
The Pompidou Museum, located on Malaga’s prestigious Pier 1, is a branch of the Georges Pompidou National Center of Art and Culture of France. Famous to the eye for its cube of stained glass windows, its visit is another of the favorite activities of tourists in Malaga.
It has a semi-permanent collection lasting approximately 2 years with works of the twentieth and twenty-first century. In addition, it has temporary exhibitions that usually last between 3 and 6 months.
As of 2022, the most successful temporary exhibition for the moment was “Matisse. A New Country.”
General information about the Pompidou Museum
Pje. del Dr. Carrillo Casaux, s/n, 29016 Málaga
687 077 105
Price of the Pompidou Museum
- Semi-permanent + temporary exhibition – 9€ (5,5€ reduced)
- Semi-permanent exhibition – 7€ (4€ reduced)
- Temporary exhibition – 4€ (2.5€ reduced)
- Special rate for groups – 7 €/person
- Group rate with open guided tour – 10,50€/person
- Rate for groups with guided tour of the closed center – 65€/person
Pompidou Museum opening hours
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 9:30 am to 8:00 pm (including holidays)
- The center will also be open on Tuesday holidays and the eve of public holidays.
- Every Tuesday, as well as December 25th and January 1st, the center will be closed.
- On December 24 and 31 the center will be open until 15:00.
Contemporary Art Center (CAC)
The CAC is a museum with works that are difficult to classify by the trends they cover. Even so, we can say that they are works that include the most recent manifestations of painting, sculpture, photography, etc.
Its surface is divided into different spaces: 3 for temporary exhibitions, 1 for permanent exhibition and another called “Project Space”, oriented to different activities such as assembly or celebrations of events.
General information about the Museum of Contemporary Art
Alemania, S/N, 29001 Málaga
952 20 85 00
Opening hours of the Contemporary Art Center
- From Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 to 21:30
- From July 1 to August 31:
- 9:00 to 14:00 and 17:00 to 21:30.
- On December 25, as well as January 1 and 6 will be closed.
- There are certain Mondays throughout the year that the museum opens its doors, in addition to certain days on which there are reduced hours. You will be able to consult it in its web page.
Price of the Contemporary Art Center
- The museum is free of charge to the public at any time of the year.
Jorge Rando Museum
The Jorge Rando Museum is the first expressionist museum in Spain and, logically, it is dedicated to house the work of the painter Jorge Rando. It also temporarily hosts national and international exhibitions related to this artistic movement.
The museum is a reflection of the work of the painter from Malaga, working under the motto “doors always open for people to enter and the museum to leave”.
General information about the Jorge Rando Museum
Cruz del Molinillo, 12, 29013 Málaga
952 21 09 91
Jorge Rando Museum opening hours
- Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 20:00 hours.
- Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00 hours.
- The Museum is closed on Sundays, December 25, January 1 and January 6.
- December 24, December 31 and January 5 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 21:00 hours.
- Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00 hours.
Price of the Jorge Rando Museum
- Admission is free throughout the year.
Museum of Malaga
The Museum of Malaga is located in the Palacio de la Aduana and houses the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts of Malaga and the Provincial Archaeological Museum of Malaga.
It is divided into a second floor, where are the works of the Museum of Fine Arts of Malaga and its large number of works of the nineteenth century, a second floor referring to the Provincial Archaeological Museum of Malaga, a third and fourth floor which has a restaurant, library and viewpoint among other options.
This museum was added to the list of most valued cultural entities in Spain in 2016.
General information about the Museum of Malaga
Plaza de la Aduana, 29015 Málaga
951 03 92 69
Opening hours of the Museum of Malaga
- Tuesday to Saturday from 09:00 to 21:00; Sundays and holidays from 09:00 to 15:00. Monday closed (except eve of a public holiday).
- Open on all public holidays, including local holidays. Closed January 1 and 6, May 1 and December 24, 25 and 31.
Price of the Museum of Malaga
- Free admission for citizens of the European Union
- Other nationalities – 1,5€.
Casa Natal Picasso Museum
The Casa Natal Picasso Museum is another museum in Malaga dedicated to the Malaga painter Pablo Ruiz Picasso.
In this museum, located in the heart of downtown Malaga, you can admire childhood and family memories of the painter and his father, José Ruiz Blasco, also a painter and professor at the School of Fine Arts in Malaga.
General information about the Casa Natal Picasso Museum
Pl. de la Merced, 15, 29012 Málaga
951 92 60 60
Opening hours Casa Natal Picasso Museum
The Casa Natal Picasso Museum is temporarily closed from June 6, 2022 for improvements in its facilities. The closure will last approximately 2 months.
- From 9:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. every day, including holidays.
- December 24 and 31: 9:30 am to 3:00 pm.
- Closed: January 1 and December 25.
Price Casa Natal Picasso Museum
- Birthplace Museum (Plaza de la Merced, 15) – 3 €.
- Temporary exhibition (Exhibition hall in Plaza de la Merced,13) – 3 €.
- Combined ticket. Birthplace Museum + temporary exhibition – 4 €.
- There are reduced rates, as well as prices on special days and free days that can be consulted on their website.
Automobile & Fashion Museum
The Automobile & Fashion Museum is located in the emblematic and old building of the Royal Tobacco Factory of Malaga, place that will be easy to reach from the historic center in a Malaga taxi.
This museum consists of 5 exhibitions among which we find the car gallery, the fashion collection and 3 others called Luxury, Design and Universal Art.
The versatility and exclusivity of the pieces that we can find in it make it one of the most famous museums in Malaga, being a fixed for any car lover.
General information of the Automobile & Fashion Museum
Av de Sor Teresa Prat, 15, 29003 Málaga
951 13 70 01
Automobile & Fashion Museum opening hours
- Monday to Sunday from 11:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00
Price Automobile & Fashion Museum
- General (17+) – 9.50€.
- Senior (65+) – 7.50
- Reduced (disabled, accompanying persons of disabled persons who require it, ICOM card, unemployed, teachers, students, European Youth Card, young people from 9 to 16 years old, groups +15 people, large families) – 5€.
- Children between 0 – 8 years old – Free
Revello de Toro Museum
The Revello de Toro Museum is a museum in Malaga dedicated, logically, to the work of the Malaga painter Felix Revello de Toro and is located in what used to be the house-workshop of Pedro de Mena.
The museum houses 132 works by Revello de Toro, of which 117 are exhibited simultaneously. It also has a temporary exhibition room.
General information about the Revello de Toro Museum
Afligidos, 5, 29015 Málaga
952 06 20 69
Revello de Toro Museum opening hours
- Tuesdays to Saturdays: 10:00 to 20:00
- Sundays and holidays. 10:00 a 14:00
- Mondays closed.
Price of Revello de Toro Museum
- Individual – 2,5€.
- Groups (5 or more people) – 2€.
- Seniors over 65 and under 18 years old – Free admission.
- Sunday – Free admission.
- Tickets include audioguide except for free tickets, where the cost of this is 2 €.
Russian Museum of Malaga
The Russian Museum of Malaga, located in the old building of the Royal Tobacco Factory, is the first branch of the State Russian Museum in Europe. It has exhibition halls, children’s workshops, auditorium, three projection rooms, reading room with reference books, a virtual museum headquarters, cafeteria and store.
The maximum duration of his works is one year and is one of the favorite choices of museums in Malaga, as evidenced by more than 100,000 visitors annually.
It currently hosts an exhibition of Picasso as a result of the withdrawal of works by Russia in response to the political crisis with the West arising from the war in Ukraine.
General information about the Russian Museum of Malaga
Tabacalera Building, Av de Sor Teresa Prat, 15, 29003 Malaga.
951 92 61 50
Opening hours of the Russian Museum of Malaga
- Tuesday to Sunday from 9:30 am to 8:00 pm
- Closed on Mondays except in extraordinary cases, as well as December 25 and January 1.
- On December 24 and 31 it will remain open until 15:00.
Price of the Russian Museum of Malaga
- Combined (Annual + Temporary Exhibition) – 8€ (4€ reduced)
- Annual – 6€ (3,5€ reduced)
- Temporary – 4€ (2,5€ reduced)
Interactive Music Museum
The Interactive Museum of Music is a museum in Malaga located in the central location of Beatas Street. In it, we can see more than 1000 musical instruments from different periods and cultures, being one of the most complete private collections in Spain.
It stands out for the possibility of interacting with these instruments, the result of which is born a sign as striking as strange if we talk about a museum. “Se ruega tocar – Please, play” are the words that warn us of how special this museum is.
If you consider yourself a music lover, this is the place for you on the Costa del Sol.
General information about the Interactive Museum of Music
Beatas, 15, 29008 Málaga
952 21 04 40
Opening hours of the Interactive Museum of Music
- September 7 – June 24:
- Monday 10:00 to 16:00 h. Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 19:00 h.
- June 25 – September 6:
- Monday 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. . Tuesday to Sunday from 10:30 to 19:30 h.
Interactive Museum of Music Price
- Normal ticket – 5€.
- Reduced admission – 3€.
Unicaja Museum of Popular Arts and Customs
The Unicaja Museum of Popular Arts and Customs is a museum in Malaga dedicated to the exhibition of objects with artistic value within what we call popular art.
Thus, in this museum we can find everyday objects that are very important in the local population. This is shown in its rooms that, among others, we can name as Forge, The Art of Fishing or Oil Mill.
General information of the Unicaja Museum of Popular Arts and Customs
Pl. Enrique García-Herrera, 1, 29005 Málaga
952 21 71 37
Opening hours of the Unicaja Museum of Popular Arts and Customs
- From Monday to Friday from 10.00 to 17.00 h.
- Saturdays from 10.00 to 15.00 h.
- Sundays and holidays closed
Price of the Unicaja Museum of Popular Arts and Customs
- Adults – 4€.
- Reduced – 2€.
- Groups (Minimum 10 people) – 2€.
- Children under 14 years – Free admission
- Free admission on Tuesdays from 13:00 to 17:00.
Museum of Glass and Crystal
The Museum of Glass and Crystal is a museum dedicated to different types of decorative arts. It contains more than 3000 pieces of glass and crystal covering all periods: Phoenician glass, Roman, Byzantine, Venetian glass, etc..
It also has furniture, paintings and other decorative objects. It is noteworthy that in the enclosure were found some pottery kilns of the seventeenth century.
General information about the Glass and Crystal Museum
Plazuela Santísimo Cristo de la Sangre, 2, 29012 Málaga
952 22 02 71
Opening hours of the Museum of Glass and Crystal
- Tuesday to Sunday from 11:00 to 19:00.
- December 24 and 31 from 11:00 to 15:00.
- Closed every Monday, December 25, January 1 and 6 and the whole month of August.
Price of the Museum of Glass and Crystal
- General – 7€.
- Reduced – 5€.
- Children under 6 years – Free admission
Wine Museum – Málaga
If we talk about museums in Malaga, one to take into account for wine lovers is, logically, the Wine Museum. This museum takes us back in time to explain the strong link between the city and this product.
It has more than 400 pieces of great value and antiquity such as labels, bottles, posters, etc.
For lovers of the world of oenology, it is undoubtedly an obligatory visit to soak up the history, geography and typology of Malaga wines.
General information about the Wine Museum – Malaga
Pl. de los Viñeros, 1, 29008 Málaga
952 22 84 93
Opening hours of the Wine Museum – Malaga
- Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 17:00.
- Saturdays from 10:00 to 14:00.
- Closed on public holidays, as well as 1st and 6th January; 24th, 25th and 31st December; Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
Price of the Wine Museum – Malaga
- General – 5€ (Includes 2 tastings)
- Reduced and groups (minimum 10 people) – 3€ (Includes 2 tastings)
- Additional tasting – 1€.
Museum of Imagination
A very alternative museum in Malaga to the conventional, is the Museum of Imagination. This museum, consisting of 3 rooms, offers us the opportunity to learn more about science and illusionism.
It has a room dedicated to science, another one to shadows and light effects, and a last one dedicated to fun and photography.
Its light-hearted, fun and informative nature has made this museum one of the best museums in Malaga in the list of 2019.
General information about the Museum of Imagination
Martínez Campos, 13, 29001 Málaga
951 50 13 19
Opening hours of the Museum of Imagination
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 11:00 to 20:00.
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday from 11:00 to 21:00.
- Open the following holidays from 11:00 to 20:00. 5 and 6 January, 28 February, 14 and 15 April, 2 May, 15 and 19 August, 8 September, 12 October, 1 November and 6, 8, 26 and 28 December.
Price of the Museum of Imagination
- General admission – 10€.
- Reduced – 5€.
- Free admission for children under 7, journalists and accredited guides.
Unicaja Foundation Cultural Centre in Malaga
Although it is not a museum in the usual sense, in the Centro Cultural Fundación Unicaja de Málaga we can find exhibitions of first class artists and activities of cultural interest.
It is located in the historic Episcopal Palace of Malaga and has hosted, among many other artists, exhibitions of painters such as Sorolla.
General information about the Unicaja Foundation Cultural Centre in Malaga
Pl. Obispo, 6, 29015 Málaga
952 62 48 62
Opening hours of the Unicaja Foundation Cultural Centre of Malaga
- Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00.
- Saturdays from 10:00 to 14:00.
- Closed on public holidays.
- 25th and 31st December and 5th January from 10:00 to 14:00.
Price of the Centro Cultural Fundación Unicaja de Málaga
- General – 3€.
Aula del Mar Alborania Museum
The Aula del Mar Alborania Museum is an interactive museum which aims to highlight the links with the sea.
In this way, we can visit different rooms where we can carry out activities such as using a navigation simulator, see exhibitions of bone remains or fossils, learn about invertebrate species such as shells, sea urchins or algae or get to know some of the species present.
When we talk about the species present, it is because, given that the museum acts as a recovery centre, it is possible to see the species that are currently on the premises, such as turtles.
General information about the Aula del Mar Alborania Museum
Palmeral de las Sorpresas, Muelle 2, 29001, Málaga
951 60 01 08
Opening hours of the Aula del Mar Alborania Museum
- Winter opening hours (01 October to 30 June):
- Monday to Sunday from 10:30 am to 2:00 pm and Thursday to Sunday from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Summer opening hours (01 July to 30 September):
- Monday to Sunday from 11:00 h. to 14:00 h. and Monday to Sunday from 17:00 h. to 20:00.
Price of the Aula del Mar Alborania Museum
- General admission – 7€.
- Reduced rate – 5€.
- Family rate (two adults and up to three children) – 20€.
Principia Science Centre
The Principia Science Centre is an interactive museum where you can learn more about science in a fun and interactive way.
It is ideal to be visited with children, as well as for school trips, and to learn first-hand about some physical laws or astronomical curiosities.
Activities such as workshops, astronomy nights, conferences, etc. are held in addition to its main activity. On your tour you can visit the experiment room, covering fields such as pressure or electromagnetism, a planetarium or an astronomical observatory, among many other alternatives.
General information about the Principia Science Centre
Av. de Luis Buñuel, 6, 29011 Málaga
952 07 04 81
Opening hours of the Principia Science Centre
Its timetable is distributed according to a calendar assigned to colours that refer to total or partial openings or closures.
In general, due to its educational nature for children, the green days (total opening) refer to working days, the blue days (partial closure) to working days but outside the academic calendar (such as July or the Christmas holidays) and the red days (closures) to holidays and eves, August, etc.
- Green days: From 9:00 to 15:00.
- Blue days: From 10:00 to 14:00.
- Red days: Closed.
Price of the Principia Science Centre
- General admission – 4€.
- Reduced admission – 3€.
- Free admission for children under 3 years old and teachers with accreditation.
Aeronautical Museum of Malaga
At the Aeronautical Museum of Malaga you can learn first-hand about everything related to the aeronautical world and its progress throughout history.
Through a permanent and a temporary collection, the different models of air transport that have accompanied us throughout history and how they have been modified, as well as the terminals or links of relevance to certain people, will be highlighted.
It will also be possible to access a simulation room or participate in specific activities organised by the centre.
General information about the Aeronautical Museum of Malaga
Av. del Comandante García Morato, s/n, 29004, Málaga
952 04 81 76
Opening hours of the Aeronautical Museum of Malaga
- Tuesday 10:00 to 20:00 and Wednesday to Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00.
- Open all public holidays, except 1 and 6 January, 24, 25 and 31 December.
Price of the Aeronautical Museum of Malaga
- Free admission.
- Free parking for visitors only.
Lagar de Torrijos Eco-museum
The Lagar de Torrijos Ecomuseum is a wine press that represents the typical house of the mountains of Malaga.
In it you can see all the objects that surrounded the craftsmanship of the wine-making sector, such as jars. In addition, as a result of phylloxera, a disease that affected the vineyards, it is also possible to find everything related to the olive business, such as the oil mill.
It is currently closed.
General information about the Lagar de Torrijos Ecomuseum
Monte Público “Cuenca del Guadalmedina” Ma-11003-Ja, Malaga.
951 19 32 36
Opening hours of the Lagar de Torrijos Ecomuseum
Winter opening hours (October to January):
- Thursdays and Fridays from 10:00 to 14:00.
- Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 to 15:00.
Summer opening hours (June, July and August):
- June: Saturdays and Sundays: 10:00 to 14:00.
- July and August: Sundays: 10:00 to 14:00.
- September: Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 to 14:00.
Price of the Ecomuseum Lagar de Torrijos
- Free admission.
Museum of Flamenco Art/Peña Juan Breva
The Museum of Flamenco Art is a museum and peña made up of several floors where we can find everything from guitar exhibitions to a flamenco tablao where we can enjoy regular shows.
Its character of museum and peña gives it a special character, being able to approach the most historical part in terms of seeing documents or the evolution of this art, to the possibility of enjoying it.
General information about the Museum of Flamenco Art/Peña Juan Breva
Ramón Franquelo, 4, 29008 Málaga
952 22 13 80
Opening hours of the Museum of Flamenco Art/Peña Juan Breva
- Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00.
- Tuesday and Wednesday from 17:00 to 21:00.
- Thursday to Saturday from 17:00 to 23:00.
- The shows are generally on Thursdays and Saturdays at 20:30, and you must be present half an hour before.
Price of the Museum of Flamenco Art/Peña Juan Breva
- General admission – 1€.
- Show ticket – 15€ (Drink and tapa included)
Ecomuseum Nereo Shipyards
The Ecomuseum Astilleros Nereo is a place where you can admire all the maritime tradition of Malaga and the Mediterranean coast.
In this eco-museum, declared an Asset of Cultural Interest by the Junta de Andalucía, we will learn about the art of fishing and its tradition, from the carpentry that surrounds the boats to the culinary delights that come from the coast of Malaga.
To this day it continues to receive commissions for fishing and rowing boats and to undertake countless cultural projects.
General information about the Ecomuseum Astilleros Nereo
Callejón. de Marina, 8, 29017 Málaga
952 29 11 98
Ecomuseum Astilleros Nereo opening hours
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00.
- Thursday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 21:00 to 00:00.
- Friday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00.
- Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00.
- Last Sunday of the month from 10:00 to 14:00.
Price of the Ecomuseum Astilleros Nereo
- General admission – 2€.
- Guided tour – 5€.
Surely there are many museums that you will want to see in Malaga and, therefore, we try to make it as easy as possible. Which one is your favorite? Tell us in the comments!